Dentures and partials dentures are oral appliances inserted into the mouth to replace your natural teeth and provide support for the teeth and lips. Dr. John Tortora and his associates offer this treatment to patients who have lost many or all of their teeth. Call us at 732-295-1616 to learn more about dentures and partials in [city, New Jersey, and schedule your consultation with our experienced dentists.
Most dentures and partials are made of acrylic, and can be fabricated in several different ways:
- A conventional denture is made after all teeth have been extracted and the tissues (gums) have healed.
- An immediate denture is fabricated and inserted immediately after the teeth are extracted and the tissues are allowed to heal under the denture.
- An upper denture has acrylic, usually flesh colored, that covers the palate (roof of the mouth).
- A lower denture is shaped like a horseshoe to leave room for the tongue.
- A partial is used to replace missing teeth and can be made for both dental arches.
The teeth of your dentures will be made of plastic, porcelain, or a combination of the two. Dentures can also be attached to implants to provide a more secure fit of the appliance.
Over the course of time, your dentures will wear out and need to be replaced or relined to ensure normal jaw alignment. The alignment of your jaws will gradually change as the bone and gum ridges recede or shrink due to the extraction of teeth. You will need to visit our dentists regularly to ensure that you are maintaining good oral health and have your oral tissues checked for disease or change.
For more information about dentures and partials and to make your appointment with our dentists, call our office today.